02 December 2008

Will Smith


I have to say that I am a great fan of Will Smith. Since his early days as a fledgling actor on the show The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, he has had me. I'll even nowadays catch some of the old episodes in syndication just to relive those hilarious skits. One of my favorite was when he and his cousin Carlton needed to come up with some money so they decide to dance at a male strip club for ladies and win some money. The song they danced to was Apache by the Sugar Hill Gang. Well when they were dancing on stage, Will grabs Carlton by the hands, spins him around, then lets go and throws him across the room!! God I couldn't stop laughing at that scene. Even today I crack up about it. I think one of the greatest things about the show was Will's crazy smile when he looked dead into the camera, being as cheeky as he could be.

But now I have noticed lately that his last group of movies seem to be serious. I feel that I have barely ever seen him crack a smile now in all of his recent roles. What happened?!?! Am I the only one who misses the lighthearted side of Mr. Smith? He was a great comedic actor, yet now he seems to have totally immersed himself in dramatic fare, dare I say dark and brooding. As of late he seems more...I don't know....goth? I don't know, I miss the old Will. Not to put down his roles now, nor am I saying that he shouldn't have any kind of artistic range, but do all the roles have to be so serious?

No comments: